1. DO take the time to know your credit score – it may get you a better mortgage rate. By learning your credit score, you can also see how you are doing in managing your finances. Free credits reports are available all over the internet.
2. DO get a mortgage preapproval before you start looking for homes.You’ll know what you can afford and not waste time looking at what you can’t. A preapproval also shows you are a serious buyer who can move forward quickly. There are a lot of buyers and fewer homes. Be ready.
3. DO start off with professional help. Your Realtor can help you with number 1 and 2 above as well as make your home search easier by sending you new listings via email that match your criteria. A good Realtor keeps their eyes peeled for what their customers are looking for. You don’t have to do all the work yourself. Consider signing a Buyer Agent agreement for the best representation.
4. DO anticipate your future needs. How long do you plan to stay in the property? Will it work for you 5 years from now? People move often for lifestyle reasons so keep your changing lifestyle in mind.
5. DO set priorities on what you are looking for in a property – but separate them into the “Must-Have features” and the “Nice to Have, but not imperative” features. It is possible that no house will have absolutely everything you need and want and you will need to decide what is most important.
6. DO be prepared to move on your decision quickly. There can be a shortage of homes for sale in certain areas in Wisconsin. This means you face competition from other buyers. Be prepared by really thinking about what it is you want and need and be comfortable in what you can afford. You should then be able to move forward quickly with a decision to make an offer so as to not lose out on the house you want.
Read the full article about the five things to do when buying a home as reported in RIS Media.
First Weber sells real estate throughout Wisconsin: Metro Milwaukee and Southeastern WI, South Central Wisconsin/Greater Madison, Southwestern WI, Central Wisconsin, Western Wisconsin, Northeast Wisconsin and Wisconsin’s great Northwoods. You can start searching for Wisconsin real estate and Wisconsin real estate agents at firstweber.com