Real estate is an exciting profession – one that allows much independence and freedom. Unlike 9-5 office desk jobs, agents are on the go, driving customers and clients around showing houses, walking vacant land and showing vacant houses … meeting total strangers and helping them find a house. It is a great job for a social person. However, would you want to meet a stranger at an empty house? Probably not.
Brokers across the country have implemented safety procedures for their agents to follow because of the independent nature of the job. Please do not be offended if you are asked to do certain things before an agent takes you out to show you property.
Some of the safety procedures in the beginning of the relationship may be:
- Meet you at the office or another public place
- Making a copy of your driver’s license and/or pre-approval letter
- Meeting with you and talking about what exactly it is you are looking for before showing you properties
Safety procedures during showings and open houses may include:
- Having a second agent present
- Not showing vacant homes at night
- Following you through the house rather than leading you
- Advising sellers to take their pets with them when they leave the property. This ensures both the pets and the visitors remain safe.
- Telling sellers to hide valuables and prescription drugs. People will walk around the house and open closets. An agent can’t see everything.
- Asking potential home buyers to sign in to the open house
Questions? Ask your agent. Unfortunately, they may be able to tell you about a time or two when crimes have occurred resulting in some of these safety procedures becoming common. Again, don’t be offended or upset by things you agent may ask you to do – or may refuse to do. Safety is the goal here for all!
First Weber sells real estate throughout Wisconsin:Metro Milwaukee and Southeastern WI, South Central Wisconsin/Greater Madison, Southwestern WI, Central Wisconsin, Western Wisconsin, Northeast Wisconsin and Wisconsin’s great Northwoods. You can start searching for Wisconsin real estate and Wisconsin real estate agents at firstweber.com