The Benefits of Using a Real Estate Agent
If you are homeowner looking to put your property on the market, it is highly recommended that you seek professional assistance from a qualified real estate agent. While it may be tempting to try to sell your home all by yourself, you will likely regret taking that approach. In fact, in many cases, you will actually lose money by selling your home on your own. According to data provided by the National Association of Realtors (NAR), for sale by owner (FSBO) homes sell for an average of 15 percent less than real estate agent assisted sales. Additionally, there is a considerable time investment involved in selling property. In many cases, it requires a tremendous amount of work for little to no benefit. The following is a list of five specific ways in which a real estate agent will help you sell your home.
The Top Five Benefits of Working With a Real Estate Agent
- Pricing: In order to maximize the amount you make from the sale of your home, you need to price it correctly. If you list it too low, you will leave money on the table. If you list it too high, you home will simply linger on the market. Proper home pricing is incredibly important, but it is not an easy task. A real estate agent who understands the nuances of the local market can be extremely helpful when it comes to pricing.
- Negotiation: Buying a home is the largest financial transaction most people make in their entire lives. Of course, this means that most do it with caution and great care. There is a lot of negotiation involved in the home-selling process. A real estate agent can help you through negotiations.
- Exposure: If homebuyers do not realize that your property is on the market, your house is not going to move. Do not underestimate the importance of good marketing. You cannot simply rely on posting a sign or newspaper ad to move your home for a good price. Your real estate agent will help you get maximum exposure so that you can attract as many prospective buyers as is possible.
- Credibility: A real estate agent will also give your sale much needed credibility. Most homebuyers are represented by agents themselves. In many cases, these buyers will ignore all of the for-sale-by-owner (FSBO) listings – or not even be aware of them.
- Efficiency: Finally, your real estate agent will ensure that the sales process goes as smoothly as is possible. If any issue arises, whether it is a financing problem or a buyer complaint, your real estate agent will be able to step in and rectify the issue.
Three Tips to Help You Choose the Right Real Estate Agent
- Check the licensing: Each state operates a licensing board for real estate agents. You can look up an agent to ensure that he or she has the proper licensing. Further, you may be able to find out any information about disciplinary history or a history of consumer complaints.
- Ask for references: Ultimately, there is no better when to learn about a real estate agent than to talk to their previous clients. Former clients can help you assess how well a particular agent will work for your unique needs.
- Look at current listings: Finally, it is a good idea to check out an agent’s other current listings. This will let you know what kind of business they do and it will give you an opportunity to see the agent’s presentation.
Do you have more questions about the process of selling a home? You may also wish to contact a Brookfield real estate attorney, as well, who can answer your questions and protect your rights throughout each step of the process.
Guest post by the legal team at J Peterman Legal Group